Monday 6 August 2012

Silent Movies and Lemon Tea


The last weekend was one that brought with it exciting news for me. On Saturday morning I found out that I have been accepted into a weeklong course in India at the end of November this year. Plans have quickly been falling into place and it looks like I’ll be heading to India a couple of days after submitting my research project, a mere three months away. My head has been spinning with vaccination requirements and itineraries for the last couple of days. And I’m getting excited about everything that I’ll get to see and do over in India (hopefully check out a high tea?), all the while trying to stay grounded in reality and how much actually has to be done before I go.

My trip to India was not the only good thing that happened over the weekend. Sunday was the last day of the New Zealand International Film Festival. And as usual, I had every intention of seeing some of the films, but didn’t actually make it to any of the screenings. Except for the last one. It was a showing of the digitally remastered silent movies, ‘Easy Street’ (directed by and starring Charlie Chaplin) and ‘Blackmail’ (directed by Alfred Hitchcock) with original music performed live by the Auckland Philharmonic Orchestra. I had been a little skeptical about the whole experience given my dependence on sound in films, but actually found it to be rather enjoyable. Afterwards, my friend and I met up with some of her French friends and we went out for a drink. While the others had beer, I found myself craving a cup of tea, and felt like a bit of a weirdo when I ordered a lemon tea. However, I have no regrets, that was one good cup of tea (Lipton too, which I'm not usually a huge fan of), and the moral of this story is that one should never be ashamed of ordering a cup of tea at a bar…

Afternoon Coffee, Venice, by Cecil van Haanen (1883)
My friend and I got into Auckland city a little early and so spent some time up at the Auckland City Art Gallery in my favourite room, the Victorian art gallery. Here’s one of the paintings – the name intrigued me – Afternoon Coffee, Venice. I love the chaos of it and it reminded me of the article I posted a link to a couple of weeks ago on ‘High Coffee’.

Anyway, plans to make and baking to do. Another recipe coming at the end of this week.

H xo

No comments:

Post a Comment