Tuesday 10 July 2012

Chai Lattes


On cold days like these there is nothing I like better than a hot drink and curling up next to the fire at home. One of my favourite hot drinks is a chai latte, and I am currently loving the Chai Latte made by Lipton. All you have to do is add hot water and stir and you have a hot, creamy drink to sip. Some people would say that it’s a bit sweet, but I like a sweet chai. Now I know this isn’t tea, but my ultimate high tea would probably involve a chai latte and/or a citrus green tea.

I recently found a recipe for Chai Latte cupcakes, which I will be attempting soon – will let you know how it goes. I’m quite excited because it combines two of my favourite things – chai lattes and cupcakes.

I spent the last weekend down in Wellington, which apart from being freezing, was fabulous. There are some very cool shops in Wellington and I spent a lot of time wondering around different shops, from op shops to boutiques. I found some gorgeous costume earrings at a shop on the end of Willis Street (I think it was called Retro Room?), which were very ‘high tea’ elegant to me. It’s amazing what you can find when you stop shopping at chain stores. We stayed at the James Cook Hotel in central Wellington, which happens to offer high tea. Given time constraints and the reasons that we were in Wellington there wasn’t any time to check this out, but while we were having lunch at the restaurant I saw high tea being served by the windows on the 16th floor. Presentation appeared fairly standard and I wasn’t so sure about the atmosphere, it didn’t seem as engaging as some of the other places that I’ve been to. Further trips to Wellington are in order to scope out the high teas (and shopping!).

Keep warm! Til next time,

H

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah,

    Another lover of high teas here, but I live in Welly.

    You are right about your observations of the James Cook Hotel for high tea. My favs for high tea in welly are Sweet Pea in Petone. Marthas Pantry and Hippopotamus. Mojo do a good high tea as does the Wellesley Hotel. Happy to provide further info next time you are planning a trip to Welly.

    I am excited as I have a trip to Auck in Nov and I want to find somwhere for high tea so appreciate your reviews for places in Auck and your list of places.

    Janine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janine,

      Thanks for your comment. I'm glad that you've found this useful :). Hope you have a great time up in Auckland. Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

      Definitely need to go back down to Wellington - I've heard good things about Martha's Pantry before. Thanks for the tips - a local's knowledge makes all the difference!

      Hannah

      Delete