Monday 23 July 2012

Twinings High Tea


Yesterday afternoon I had a delightful high tea at The Langham, in Auckland City. It wasn’t your typical high tea at The Langham however, as it was one hosted by MindFood and Twinings of London as a PR event for the release of their new tea ‘New Zealand Earl Grey’. High tea was served in Barolo Restaurant rather than The Winery because of this. I’m told though that the high tea delicacies served were similar to those served at the Langham’s Tiffin Afternoon Tea (their version of the high tea).
 
I have not been to The Langham for high tea since February 2011, but since then their impeccable service has not changed. The wait staff were very attentive without being intrusive, refilling water glasses and ensuring that everyone had plenty of tea. The Langham really seem to have the service aspect of high tea down to a fine art. I am continually impressed. Although this is not an official review, they get a 5 out of 5 for service.

The event was hosted by Stephen Twining and Matt Greenwood of Twinings, who made a witty pair, they were both informative and entertaining. Stephen Twining and Matt Greenwood came and spoke to the individual tables, and actually sat down and had conversation with us. We sat at a table of 6; I had come with two other dining companions. I really enjoyed the company of the people at our table - high tea seems to facilitate good conversation.

The high tea, well, what can I say? The Langham, I believe, probably offer one of the largest high tea selections. Of particular note were the rum and raisin scones, the smoked salmon mousse on brioche, the macadamia nut macaroon and the mulled wine-spiced opera cake (which tasted like tiramisu to me?). In my opinion, The Langham probably does one of the best ‘sweet’ tiers of any high tea that I’ve been too. The savouries were ok.

One cannot forget the tea, as that is what this afternoon was all about. The following Twinings blends were served throughout the afternoon to accompany the high tea: Twinings English Breakfast, Twinings New Zealand Breakfast, Twinings Green Tea and Cranberry and Twinings New Zealand Earl Grey. My favourite of the afternoon was probably the Green Tea and Cranberry variety. It had a distinct cranberry flavor without being overly sweet and was brewed beautifully as the green tea was not bitter at all. Although I am usually more partial to a black tea, green teas lately are becoming a new favourite. Trivia fact from the afternoon, apparently tea served without milk is less than one calorie! Twinings New Zealand Earl Grey, the new tea, was good, quite fragrant, and I preferred this one with milk.

Overall, it was a fantastic afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment